Skip to main content

Welcome!

Welcome to Miss Lee's Genius Hour! Genius Hour is an engaging way to motivate students to learn bout something they are passionate about. This blog will be about how an hour is spent each week nswering the question: How can I learn how to crochet a blanket?


Hyde R. (2010, September 8). Time Management [Photograph]. Retrieved from https://www.haikudeck.com/copy-of-genius-hour--education-presentation-f6DYqfsZ6m#slide0


My goals for this project:
  • Learn a variety of crochet stitches
  • Learn how to use a crochet pattern
  • Crochet a blanket
How I will measure my success:
  • Documenting what I have learned (i.e. the stitches, how to use a pattern)
  • Comparing my work to the images/tutorials online
My experiences so far:

So far, I know how to knit. Although knitting is different from crocheting, hopefully the skills I have learned from knitting will help me in learning how to crochet!

Watts, B. (2016, August 31). “Crochet” [Photograph]. Retrieved from https://www.theknittingnetwork.co.uk/blogs/how-to/162155143-learn-crochet-from-the-start-how-to-hold-your-hook-and-yarn



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genius Hour Week 1

It is Week 1 of Genius Hour! I have been very excited to get started! For my genius hour, my goals are: Learn a variety of crochet stitches Learn how to use a crochet pattern Crochet a blanket! For the first week, I planned to research basic crochet stitches online and watch videos, while practicing using the crochet hook and yarn. To begin my research, I found this website to learn the basics of how to crochet step by step, including an introduction of crochet supplies, how to hold a crochet hook and how to make a slip knot for crochet. Due to my previous knowledge from knitting, I knew which size crochet hook to use with a certain type of yarn and I had all the materials at home already. Although I do not know how to crochet (yet!), I have crochet hooks that I use when I make mistakes when I knit. To start, I needed to make a slip knot. (Lee, 2017) I already knew how to make a slip knot from knitting, but I still researched to see if it...

Genius Hour Week 4

For Week 4 of Genius Hour, I continued working on the blanket. I felt that I did not need to do any more research for now. I re-watched the video of the blanket tutorial and pattern several times when I got confused. The great thing about crocheting is that it is okay to make mistakes. It is easy to undo the yarn if I catch the mistakes right away! I think I was able to quickly learn how to crochet because I know how to knit. Crocheting and knitting requires the ability to know where the stiches go, if it looks right, and see if a mistake was made. I crocheted for the hour straight and it did not look like a lot had been accomplished. (Lee, 2017) This made me begin to reflect on my choice of Genius Hour project. I have known (from previous research and knitting) that crocheting projects typically do not take as long as knitting does. I thought back to the blankets that I have knitted, which have taken me several years. I should have chosen a ...

Genius Hour Week 5

This week I am continuing with crocheting my blanket. I find crocheting very relaxing as I can work on my blanket while I watch a TV show or listen to music. It is great to relieve stress from school work! Last week I reflected on my commitment do make a blanket and stated that I know I will not be able to complete it. I currently have 6 rows completed. Each row takes over 1 hour to complete. (Lee, 2017) I continued to reflect and I were to implement Genius Hour into my classroom, I will know that some students will require a lot of time to complete the projects they want. However this will help students learn time management skills and adjust their schedule/project accordingly. This week, I sent my sister a picture of my blanket so far. She stated that she really liked the color I chose. The yarn I used was given to me by my grandmother. She knows that I enjoy knitting and has given me lots of yarn...